Source www.bbr.com :
North Port Brechin Highlands
North Port, Brechin, Townhead… This whisky distillery has gone by all of these names at different points in its lifetime from 1820 until its demolition 1990 to make way for a supermarket. A small distillery, with only 1 wash still and 1 spirit still, North Port nonetheless has a colourful history.
Starting production in 1820, this distillery predated the Excise Act of 1823, meaning that for 3 years North Port was distilling whisky of questionable legality! During the Second World War the distillery acted as a temporary refuge for some of the Polish infantry, before resuming production in 1948 at the end of the conflict.
The distillery was mothballed in 1983, making it the first of the east Highland distilleries to fall as a result of the decline in whisky in Scotland between ’83-‘85, and was finished off in 1990.
North Port whiskies are now understandably rare and costly, and some regard the most recent bottlings to be among the best of this character of a distillery.