Source www.bbr.com :
St Magdalene/ Linlithgow Lowlands
St. Magdalene distillery-also known as Linlithgow-was founded in 1795 in the town of Linlithgow; half way between Edinburgh and Stirling. The site of the distillery was previously a Leper colony dedicated to St. Magdalene.
The distillery was strategically located, being situated on both the main Edinburgh to Stirling railway line. In 1914/15 St. Magdalene was one of the original 5 distilleries which merged to become part of SMD or Scottish Malt Distillers which became DCL, which in turn became Diageo. St. Magdalene was closed as part of DCL's rationalisation in 1983, and its buildings were converted to flats.