Whisky Catalog by Alternative Whisky Academy
This is a whisky catalog with information about the different types of Whisky, Whiskey and Bourbon, sorted by contry.
If you want to buy whisky please check this page to find a whisky shop -> http://www.awa.dk/whisky/wshops/index.htm
Sorry but have an estimated +5000 pages to convert and only +1000 reached ... (Working hard to update all pages).
AWA - Alternative Whisky Academy is a private, none-commercial, no-profit, none-selling whisky society. (Private owner for private usage.)
We do NOT sell whisky or anything else.
|Location :||Mulben, Keith, Banffshire|
Mulben, Keith, Banffshire AB 55 23L
Phone : 01542-860272
Fax : 01542-860327
Manager : Ronnie MacDonald
Visitors : The distillery has no reception centre but visitors are welcome by appointment. Phone 01542-860272 to arrange.
|Owner :||Allied Distillers Ltd.|
|Water :||Rosarie Burn|
They use ex-bourbon casks, the distillery have 3 wash stills and 3 spirit stills.
Very few official visitors (25 per year)
From Collins Pocket Reference 'Whisky':
Glentauchers was built in 1898 by James Buchanan, the entrepreneur responsible for the success of Black & White Whisky, and its product went into their blends. Buchanan was a larger than life figure: in 1920 the then PM Lloyd George offered him the title, Lord Woolavington, in return for a healthy donation to Liberal Party funds. Buchanan was keen to take up his offer but, in keeping with his own business acumed and Lloyd George's reputation, he sighed his cheque 'Woolavington'. Buchanan's distillery was largely rebuilt and modernized in 1965 but was silent for several years in the 1980s until Allied Distillers acquired it from United Distillers in 1988 and immediately reopened it.
Source www.bbr.com :
Glentauchers Distillery, Speyside
Glentauchers started with the joint venture of James Buchanan and WP Lowrie of Glasgow, a key stockholder who supplied Buchanan from the beginning. The first foundation stone was laid on the 29th May 1897, in one of the fields at Tauchers Farm.
In considering the place to build the new distillery a key factor was the accessible road and rail network already in existence. The road sits directly at the front of the distillery and the construction of a siding from the railway line at the back of the site enabled transportation of goods and supplies to flow freely.
Buchanan was so successful with his blends, that he became one of the three most important characters in the whisky world, together with Dewar and Walkers. The Buchanan and Dewar groups merged in 1910 and shortly after, the group became part of DCL which would become UDV in 1987. Glentauchers was closed between 1985 and 1989, while the reopening was the consequence of the acquisition of the distillery by Allied Distillers (now part of Pernod Ricard).
Glentauchers forms a part in the blends Black & White and Ballantine's. Nearly all of the production is used for blending purposes, with a rare, special distillery edition in 2000, being one of the most recent official expressions.