SCOTLAND

WHISKY FROM SCOTLAND

Dalmore Whisky bottle. (1/3 L. from the taxfree catalog.)

DALMORE.



 
Location :Alness, Ross-shire. Highland Region.
Country :Scotch.
Type : Highland Northern.
Distillery : Mackenzie Brothers since 1867.
Founded :1839 by Dalmore Distillery.
Age : 12 Years Old
Vol : 40%
Water :Alness River (The only still allowed to drain water from the River.)
Remark :Biggest part blends in Whyte & Mackay's blends.
Price(in Danish kr. 70cl. : ?,- )

 

Dallas Dhu



Location :Findhorn, Forres, Morrayshire.
East of an unclassified road which forks south of the A940 on the southern outskirts of Forres.
Region :Morrayshire
Country :Scotland
Type : Malt - Highland Speyside.
Distillery : Dallas Dhu Distillery
Mannachie Road, Forres, Morayshire IV36 0RR
Phone : ?
Distillery closed in 1983 but can be reinstated.
Visitors : (There is a living museum under the stewardship of historic Scotland.)
Phone : 01309-676548
April to September from 09.30 to 18.30 (6.30 pm), last admission at 18.00 - Sunday 14.00 to 18.30.
October to Marts from 09.30 to 16.30, last admission at 16.00. Sunday 14.00 to 18.30
Closed Thu PM and Friday.
(Visitors per year : 18.000)
Founded :1899 (No longer licensed)
Owner :United Distillers (in the care of historic Scotland)
Producer  : ?
Water :Altyre Burn
Remark :

Dallas Dhu :

They used ex-bourbon and sherry casks.
The distillery had 1 wash still and 1 spirit still.

From the Whisky pilot by Uniqum Systems :
Originally to be called Dallasmore in 1898, the plans for the new distillery, designed by local Elgin architect Charles Doig, caused much correspondence in the local paper, the Forres Gazette. This included some verses from a local councillor. The fillings were eventually advertised as Dallas Dhu in November 1899, when it came on stream. One of several distilleries on the estate of the local laird, Alexander Edward, who in 1900 sold the distillery to the proprietors of Roderick Dhu, a whisky brand popular at the turn of the last century.
The stillhouse was burned down on 9 April, 1939 and it did not re- open until 1947. It closed in 1983 and the licence was cancelled in 1992. The distillery buildings were handed over by Scottish Malt Distillers to the Historic Buildings and Monuments department of the Scottish Office who now run them as a model example of a distillery on the tourist trail.
It is still possible to obtain special bottlings from old casks, although supplies of the whisky are now dwindling all the time. Dallas Dhu is a perfectly preserved example of what a small Highland distillery would have been like at the turn of the century. Had its water supply been more plentiful, it is most likely that the distillery would have been one of the ones chosen for expansion in recent years.
As it is, its single pair of old stills has been preserved, as have all the old plant and machinery and the fine old distillery buildings.
Built in a hollow to the east of an unclassified road which forks south of the A940 on the southern outskirts of Forres.
Water from the Altyre Burn (known locally as the Scourie Burn).

Whyte & Mackays



Location :?
Region :?
Country :Scotland
Type : ?
Distillery : Whyte and Mackay Distillery
Dalmore House
296-8 St Vincent Street
Glasgow
Scotland
Founded :1882 / 1844
Owner :Guiness Plc
Producer  : ?
Water :?
Remark :

Whyte & Mackays :

From the whiskypilot
Dating all the way back to 1844 the company was founded as Allan and Poynter. However, in 1882 did James Whyte, who had been managing the company, form a partnership with Charles Mackay and the company shifted name to Whyte and Mackay.
The company was built on a blend called Special, a blend of 35 different maltwhiskies and a number of grain whiskies. After WWII the company spent four years building up a store of whisky and in 1960 they merged with the Dalmore distillery. In 1972 they bought the Fettercairn and Tomintoul-Glenlivet distilleries and continued to expand. The company today is owned by Guiness Plc.

WHITE HORSE



Location :Port Dundas, Glasgow, Scotland.
Region :?
Country :Scotland
Type : Blended
Distillery : White Horse Distillers Limited
99 Borron Street, Port Dundas, Glasgow, Scotland.
Founded :in 1861 by James Logan Mackie.
Owner :United Distillers, Glasgow.
Producer :?
Water :?
Remark :Fine old Scotch Whisky
Owned by United Distillers ( URL : http://www.united.distillers.co.uk/ ) Glasgow.
From White House Distillers - Glasgow & London.
It's known as a blended scotch whisky - 43% vol.
The Whisky is a smooth and distinctive whisky with peaty elements in both its aroma and flavour. It is the leading standard blend in Japan.

White House Distillers was known until 1924 as Mackie and Co., and was established by a Mr. James Logan Meckie in 1861.
The Compagny became succesfull under its second head Mr. Peter Mackie an entreprenour and the driving force who registered the name 'White Horse' named after a famouse Edinburgh coaching inn for his blend in 1890.

When he died in 1924 his whisky was one of the foremost blends in the entire world.
Tree years later in 1927 the White House Distillers joined the Distillers Company Limitedm with whom Mackie had had difficult relations during his lifetime.

White House also produce brands called Logan and White House Extra Fine de luxe blends for the export market.
- - -
From The Scotch Whisky Book by Mark Skipworth.:

Parent company : Guinnes plc.
Available in all types of U.K outlets.
Its export markets are Europe, USA, Japan, Australia, Africa and South America.

The present day firm was founded by Mr. James Logan Mackie in 1883 in Glasgow but it would seem that the family were also in possession of the famous White House Inn in Canongate, Edinburgh, White Horse Close, which housed the inn, was named after the white palfrey that carried Mary Queen of Scots to and from the nearby Palace of Holyroodhouse.
The name White Horse was not officially registered until 1891. By this time James Mackie's nephew Peter Mackie had succeeded him. He trained at the Lagavulin distillery on Islay which had been run by a partnership of James Logan Mackie and Captain Graham since 1883. It was Peter Mackie who was first to recognize the importance of a standard whisky and a brand name for it. Hence White Horse.
'Restless Peter' built the firm up so that White Horse Distillers Limited was one of what was known as the 'Big Five' in the Scotch whisky world. He was a great fighter tor the cause of maturing whiskies.
It was also White Horse that were the pioneers with screw caps: until then bottles had been corked.
In 1915 Peter Mackie bought the Craigellachie distillery on Speyside, whose product is part of the White Horse recipe.
In 1924 when Peter Mackie died, Mackie and Co. as it had been known since 1890 took its present title of White Horse Distillers Limited, and in 1927 became part of The Distillers Compagny Limited.
Today White Horse products are exported to almost 200 countries.

Mellow, full-bodied, Clean taste. Dark Color.

The name White Horse comes from the white horse that were used to carry Mary Stuart to and from the Holyroodhouse Palace.
From the Whisky pilot by Uniqum Systems :
James Logan Mackie founded the company in Glasgow back in 1883. Peter Mackie, the brother of James, succeeded him and it was Peter that registrated the trademark White Horse in 1891. Peter had received his knowledge at the Lagavulin distillery and it now come handy as he developed the company during the next decades.
He was one of the first to recognise the importance of maintaining a continuos standard of the whisky and also the importance of a strong trademark. He also advocated forcefully for maturing of whisky and White Horse was the first distillery to sport screw caps. In 1915 the company bought Craigellachie distillery, one of the whiskies used in the White Horse blend.
Later the company also bought the Glen Elgin distillery and when Peter died in 1924 he left a company that was one of the five largest in the industry. The same year that Peter died the company changed its name from Mackie and Todd to White Horse Distillers Ltd.
- - -
Peter Mackie has been described as 'one-third genius, one-third megalomaniac and one-third eccentric'. He had trained at the Lagavulin Distillery on Islay, which had been run in part by his uncle. Mackie was responsible for building up White Horse Distillers Ltd., as it became known after his death.
He was the champion of maintaining a high standard for Scotch whisky and was a great fighter for the cause of maturing whiskies.

Glen Elgin Founded 1898, and Lagavulin (pronounced "Lagga-voolin") which means "the hollow where the mill is" contributes whisky to the White Horse blends and the animal decorates the distillery sign.
Lagavulin has been operating since 1816 and in 1890 it was bought by Mackie & Co of Glasgow.

Additional information :
The name "White Horse" comes from an ancient inn in Edinburgh's Canongate frequented it is said by Bonnie Prince
Charlie's men. A white horse has long been a symbol of victory. John(ny) Walker was originally a licensed grocer in Kilmarnock before he, but principally his son, built up the business and the brand name. [rjsm]

- - -
Additional there is another whisky called Very Old Black and White Horses orinal from Chile.

William Lawson



Location :North East Scotland
Region :?
Country :Scotland
Type : Blended
Distillery : William Lawson Distillers
(William Lawson Distillers, is a subsidiary of Barcadi Ltd., Bermuda.)
Founded :1849 by Wiliam Lawson
Owner :?
Producer  : ?
Water :?
Remark :

William Lawson :

From the Whisky pilot by Uniqum Systems :
Created in 1849 by Wiliam Lawson.
Glen Deveron is one of the malts used in the blend.
Today the plant in Coatbridge proiduces about 20 million bottles of William Lawson per year.

William Lawson started out as a whisky merchant in Dundee in the 19th century. The company had severe financial problems during WWII but managed to recover and moved to new Liverpool a few years after the war. At that time Liverpool was bustling with activity and Lawson's business expanded rapidly. They invested in a bottling plant in Coatbridge, necessary due to the increased export, which in turn was achived largely thanks to their business relation with Martini & Rossi.
In 1972 they bought the Macduff Distillery, a natural step to ensure a contious flow of the whisky that was the heart of their blended whisky. Today the annual output of the Coatbridge plant exceeds 20 million bottles.

One of the few companies to move successfully to Scotland from England.